1. Ban the Box Compliance – It’s only a matter of time before every employer nationwide must adhere to ban the box regulations, be proactive and add this to your screening policy.
2. Social Medial Searches – employers are now screening applicant’s social media profiles as part of the screening process. There are certain parameters that employers must comply with when vetting social media accounts, along with potential liability in performing these types of searches. Another must add to the companies screening policy.
3. Electronic Applicant Consent – many employers are moving toward an automated streamline process when acquiring applicant signed consent. The E-sign act provides protection to employers that gather electronic signatures.
4. Position Specific Searches – Employers must identify key positions within their company that would warrant additional vetting to ensure they are the best fit. These searches can include:
County Civil Searches
Federal Criminal / Civil Searches
5. Remove any “Limitation of Liability” Claims – This is an item that must be removed not only from the company’s policy but any disclosure, notice(s), and even end-user agreements provided by the background screening company (believe it or not some consumer reporting agencies have this clause in their agreements).