With a very competitive job market and employers left with huge applicant pools to pull viable candidates from, it’s a necessity now more than ever to require a certain level of education for key positions. As a result, some applicants may tend to “bend the truth”, when it comes to their educational history in order to make them more desirable to employers. Some job candidates have gone as far as purchasing a diploma online or obtaining fraudulent credentials through a “Diploma Mill”. A diploma mill is defined as a company or organization who claims to be a higher education institution but which offers illegitimate academic degrees and diplomas for a fee. We want to look at 5 scary statistic regarding diploma mills.
- Roughly 200,000 bogus degrees are awarded to students, or “customers” around the world on an annual basis.
- The cost of these “fake” degrees on average is between $500 and $2,500, lump sum up front.
- A college degree is the second most expensive purchase a consumer will buy in their lifetime, second to their home.
- There are over 370 educational websites that offer fraudulent degrees.
- 30% of job candidates lie about their education on their resume or job application.