As important as verifying employment and education history, is verifying an applicant’s military status. There are two ways of verifying active or inactive military records. The first is by contacting the ranking officer’s directly to verify all previous military experience, branch of service, status and dates of service. The other process is by submitting an inquiry to the National Personnel Records Center via form SF-180 (request pertaining to military records).



In addition, to information provided by a ranking officer, form SF-180 will also include last duty assignment and rank, military job specialty, military education, decorations, medals, badges, citations, and campaign awards, total creditable service, and foreign service credited. Due to researching all of the information contained on form SF-180, turnaround time to receive correspondence from the National Personnel Records Center is usually between two-six weeks.

This search will verify the individual’s military branch of service and current military status.  This search requires a release signed by the individual in order to be processed.

Print Friendly