The Fair and Accurate Credit Transactions (FACT) Act was signed into law in 2003.
Employers Choice Online, Inc. DBA Employers Choice Screening provides pre-employment background checks to employers. This notice is to inform consumers and assist them with:
- Ordering a free copy of their credit report, as indicated in the Fair and Accurate Credit Transactions (FACT) Act
- Obtaining a free copy of their background report (applies only if your background report was authorized by you and processed by Employers Choice Screening on behalf of an Employers Choice Screening client)
- Disputing the accuracy of a background report provided by Employers Choice Screening
- Obtaining contact information for Employers Choice Screening
Obtaining your Free Annual Credit Report
The Fair and Accurate Credit Transactions (FACT) Act of 2003 that amended the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA) allows consumers to obtain a free copy of their consumer file from certain consumer reporting agencies once during a 12 month period. The Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA) requires the three national credit bureaus (Equifax, Experian, and TransUnion) to provide a consumer with a free copy of his/her credit report, upon request, once in a twelve month period. Free credit reports are available under the FCRA at www.annualcreditreport.com. This is the only authorized Internet source for retrieving your free credit report under Federal law. Your report can also be obtained through calling (877) 322-8228 or mailing a request to Annual Credit Report, PO Box 105281, Atlanta 30348-5281. You must provide your full legal name, current address, Social Security number, and date of birth, as well as indicate if you would like your credit report from one, two, or all three credit bureaus.
Obtaining your Background Report from Employers Choice Screening
If you have had a background report run on you by Employers Choice Screening, you may request a free annual file disclosure pursuant to the Free Annual File Disclosure Rule, 16 C.F.R. Part 610, under the following circumstances:
- “Free Annual Disclosure” (available from National Specialty Consumer Reporting Agencies) once during 12-month period
- Within 60 days of receiving an adverse action notification
- Upon providing written certification that the consumer is unemployed and intends to apply for employment within 60 days
- Upon providing written certification that the consumer is a recipient of welfare assistance
- Upon providing written certification that the consumer has reason to believe that the file on the consumer contains inaccurate information due to fraud
The FCRA describes a “disclosure” as “all information in the consumer’s file at the time of the request.” Further, some state laws also entitle consumers to free disclosures and/or background report copies in other circumstances.
You may contact Employers Choice Screening and request a disclosure and/or a copy of the consumer report/investigative consumer report (background report) of which you are the subject. This service is provided at no charge to you. Please note that proper identification will be required.
Please note that Employers Choice Screening only prepares background reports at the request of our client whom must obtain authorization from you before proceeding; therefore, unless you have previously authorized a prospective employer to obtain a background screening report from about you, Employers Choice Screening will not have run a background report of which you are the subject. If you have not applied for employment with an employer that conducts pre-employment background reports through Employers Choice Screening, then you will not have a file with Employers Choice Screening. Generally, a consumer will be informed of the name and identity of the background company that was utilized by an employer (For example, Employers Choice Screening) on the Consent and Disclosure forms that an applicant must sign to authorize the background report being requested by their prospective employer.
Consumer Contact Information
Under state and federal law, consumers have the right to access a copy of their background report and to dispute the accuracy of any information contained within it.
The following convenient methods can be used by consumers to contact Employers Choice Screening:
Employers Choice Online, Inc.
9845 Painter Avenue, Suite B
Whittier, CA 90605
Tel: (800) 424-7011
Attention: Compliance Department