Industry Related Background Checks
From “ban the box” compliance to position specific searches, here are five important items to add to your organization’s background screening policy:
- Ban the Box Compliance – It is only a matter of time before every employer nationwide must adhere to “ban the box” regulations; be proactive and add this to your screening policy.
- Social Medial Searches – Employers are now reviewing applicants’ social media profiles as part of the screening process. There are certain parameters that employers must comply with when vetting social media accounts, along with potential liability in performing these types of searches.
- Electronic Applicant Consent – Many employers are moving toward an automated streamline process when acquiring applicant signed consent. The E-Sign Act provides protection to employers that gather electronic signatures.
- Position Specific Searches – Employers must identify key positions within their company that would warrant additional vetting for in order to ensure that they are the best fit.
These searches can include:
- County Civil Searches
- Employment/Education Verification
- License/Credential Verification
- Federal Criminal/Civil Searches
- Remove all “Limitation of Liability” Claims – This is an item that must be removed not only from the company’s policy, but also any disclosure, notice(s), and even end-user agreements provided by the background screening company.