The US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) has released an update version of the Form I-9. Pursuant to federal law immigration, employers MUST maintain a compliant properly completed Form I-9 for ALL employees hired in the U.S. after November 6, 1986.
The new version, which takes effect on January 22, 2017, includes the following updates:
- Clarification of the “other names used” field in section to request only “other last names used” and the numbering of immigration status categories in section
- Additional details regarding the preparer/translator category, including the ability to select multiple preparers or translators
- Designated area to enter additional information that previously needed to be entered as a margin note, such as the auto-extension of an individual’s work-authorized status, where applicable
- Separate page (Page 3) for Section 3 of the Form I-9
- Additional prompts and electronic enhancements, such as drop-down lists and calendars, to facilitate the proper entry of required information