The US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) has released an update version of the form I-9. Pursuant to federal law immigration, employers MUST maintain a compliant properly completed form I-9 for ALL employees hired in the U.S. after November 6, 1986.
The new form which takes effect on January 22, 2017 has added the following updates:
1) Clarification of the “other names used” field in Section to request only “other last names used” and the numbering of immigration status categories in Section
2) Additional details regarding the preparer/translator category, including the ability to select multiple preparers/translators;
3) A designated area to enter additional information that previously needed to be entered as a margin note, such as the auto-extension of an individual’s work-authorized status, where applicable;
4) A separate page (Page 3) for Section 3 of the Form I-9;
5) Additional prompts and electronic enhancements, such as drop-down lists and calendars, to facilitate the proper entry of required information.